St Kilda


Started my day by walking along the promenade to St Kilda. It's about a 20 minute walk, which was fine, but would've been better if the weather had been nicer. There were people kiteboarding at one of the beaches, and offering lessons, but alas, I had no suitable attire with me. I walked through Catani Park, where there were people having picnics under trees and children getting pony rides on shetlands. Got to St Kilda and took a walk along the pier. Nothing special - I preferred the one near the hostel.

Then I walked along the Esplanade. There was a handicrafts market - all handmade products apparently. I probably would've spent longer there if I'd have wanted to spend money - lots of nice stuff - jewellry, arts and crafts, woodwork, natural cosmetic products, allsorts. A couple of the stalls smelt like Lush, only not as overpowering!

I passed by Luna Park - kinda the Blackpool Pleasure Beach of the southern hemisphere. Then I walked alog Acland Street. I can see why people like it too. Cafes, bars and cake shops line the street, with indoor and outdoor seating. And some shops and juice bars squeezed in between. I got a coffee and strawberry tart at a cake shop on one side, then a smoothie on the other side on my way back.

Got the tram from St Kilda into the city. Some radio station were interviewing the junior tennis champions in Federation Square so I stuck around to listen to that. Then I went on the internet for a while, uploading photos and emailing Mum - still an hour to go until the mixed doubles final, and the mens singles didn't start until 7.30pm.

Got back to Federation Square in time to see the end of the mixed doubles. Then I decided to check out the bus station, so I knew where I would be going tomorrow. Lonely Planet says the Greyhound stop is on Franklin Street, and the Greyhound website is pretty vague. So I get a tram up to Franklin Street, and there is the Greyhound sign. I wander in, even though everything looks pretty shut, to see if there are lockers for me to put my luggage in for the day. And there is a poster: "Urgent Notice: All Greyhound buses now depart from Southern Cross Station". Glad I found this out before I trundled all the way up here with my luggage!

So I get a tram back to Federation Square to get one to Southern Cross Station, only to find out that none go from there to the station. So I walked there. It's pretty far. But, I fund where I need to be, lockers, and how to get there, so all is good.

Walked down to Flinders Street to get a tram back to Federation Square, and then back to the hostel. Treated myself to chips and onion rings from the chippy next door. Way too much food! And apparently, you have have to specify that you don't want salt, or you end up with a year's intake on one portion of chips. This applies to restaurants too.

Then I watched the tennis. Federer won 7-6, 6-4, 6-4. Gonzalez played well and made all the Chileans happy, but Federer is just magic.

Packed my stuff up before I went to bed. I thought I'd be the only one in the dorm for the night, as the two German girls left last night, but there was a new guy, Dave. Nice guy. Spent a while travelling, and is now starting work in Oz (he's a plumber), and working on getting a permanent residency. He's kinda like Stuart Jones, if he developed some muscle and spoke with a Mancunian accent.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, 28 January 2007

St Kilda


Started my day by walking along the promenade to St Kilda. It's about a 20 minute walk, which was fine, but would've been better if the weather had been nicer. There were people kiteboarding at one of the beaches, and offering lessons, but alas, I had no suitable attire with me. I walked through Catani Park, where there were people having picnics under trees and children getting pony rides on shetlands. Got to St Kilda and took a walk along the pier. Nothing special - I preferred the one near the hostel.

Then I walked along the Esplanade. There was a handicrafts market - all handmade products apparently. I probably would've spent longer there if I'd have wanted to spend money - lots of nice stuff - jewellry, arts and crafts, woodwork, natural cosmetic products, allsorts. A couple of the stalls smelt like Lush, only not as overpowering!

I passed by Luna Park - kinda the Blackpool Pleasure Beach of the southern hemisphere. Then I walked alog Acland Street. I can see why people like it too. Cafes, bars and cake shops line the street, with indoor and outdoor seating. And some shops and juice bars squeezed in between. I got a coffee and strawberry tart at a cake shop on one side, then a smoothie on the other side on my way back.

Got the tram from St Kilda into the city. Some radio station were interviewing the junior tennis champions in Federation Square so I stuck around to listen to that. Then I went on the internet for a while, uploading photos and emailing Mum - still an hour to go until the mixed doubles final, and the mens singles didn't start until 7.30pm.

Got back to Federation Square in time to see the end of the mixed doubles. Then I decided to check out the bus station, so I knew where I would be going tomorrow. Lonely Planet says the Greyhound stop is on Franklin Street, and the Greyhound website is pretty vague. So I get a tram up to Franklin Street, and there is the Greyhound sign. I wander in, even though everything looks pretty shut, to see if there are lockers for me to put my luggage in for the day. And there is a poster: "Urgent Notice: All Greyhound buses now depart from Southern Cross Station". Glad I found this out before I trundled all the way up here with my luggage!

So I get a tram back to Federation Square to get one to Southern Cross Station, only to find out that none go from there to the station. So I walked there. It's pretty far. But, I fund where I need to be, lockers, and how to get there, so all is good.

Walked down to Flinders Street to get a tram back to Federation Square, and then back to the hostel. Treated myself to chips and onion rings from the chippy next door. Way too much food! And apparently, you have have to specify that you don't want salt, or you end up with a year's intake on one portion of chips. This applies to restaurants too.

Then I watched the tennis. Federer won 7-6, 6-4, 6-4. Gonzalez played well and made all the Chileans happy, but Federer is just magic.

Packed my stuff up before I went to bed. I thought I'd be the only one in the dorm for the night, as the two German girls left last night, but there was a new guy, Dave. Nice guy. Spent a while travelling, and is now starting work in Oz (he's a plumber), and working on getting a permanent residency. He's kinda like Stuart Jones, if he developed some muscle and spoke with a Mancunian accent.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home