San Francisco to Yosemite

I started the day with a coffee and sat in Union Square while it was still quiet: everyone was already in work but the tourists weren't out yet. I went back to the hostel, checked out, and got the bus to the Transbay Terminal. Only to find out I didn't need to be there: I needed to be at one of the underground stations on Market Street.

Caught the underground to MacArthur in East Bay, and got the free shuttle from there to the Emeryville train station. I met a couple of nice guys on that bus, one who worked for Amtrak. They pointed out the PIXAR head office to me, which is evidently based in Emeryville. Once at the train station, the guy who worked for Amtrak brought me their brochures.

The train journey was uneventful. I read mostly. Got into Merced around 4.30pm and had to wait until 5.15pm for the bus. I got chatting to a guy with pink hair who was going camping in Yosemite for three days, and a girl from Massachusetts who worked on the other side of the park. It was incredibly hot in Merced: stood in the shade not doing anything, and still sweating.

The bus reached the Yosemite Bug Hostel in Midpines around 6.30pm, and I walked up the drive with a Korean guy who was also on the bus. It was a long, uphill way with my rucksack! One of the guys who worked there housekeeping and got to drive a golf buggy around picked us up about 100 yards from reception.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Friday, 24 August 2007

San Francisco to Yosemite

I started the day with a coffee and sat in Union Square while it was still quiet: everyone was already in work but the tourists weren't out yet. I went back to the hostel, checked out, and got the bus to the Transbay Terminal. Only to find out I didn't need to be there: I needed to be at one of the underground stations on Market Street.

Caught the underground to MacArthur in East Bay, and got the free shuttle from there to the Emeryville train station. I met a couple of nice guys on that bus, one who worked for Amtrak. They pointed out the PIXAR head office to me, which is evidently based in Emeryville. Once at the train station, the guy who worked for Amtrak brought me their brochures.

The train journey was uneventful. I read mostly. Got into Merced around 4.30pm and had to wait until 5.15pm for the bus. I got chatting to a guy with pink hair who was going camping in Yosemite for three days, and a girl from Massachusetts who worked on the other side of the park. It was incredibly hot in Merced: stood in the shade not doing anything, and still sweating.

The bus reached the Yosemite Bug Hostel in Midpines around 6.30pm, and I walked up the drive with a Korean guy who was also on the bus. It was a long, uphill way with my rucksack! One of the guys who worked there housekeeping and got to drive a golf buggy around picked us up about 100 yards from reception.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home