Flying to New York

Typical: the one day I really need to be up, and I sleep in until 7.10am. I wanted to be in the airport by then! Luckily it was an internal flight, and I was checked in by 8.10am, so plenty of time.

Boring flight. Crap film. Crap music.

We got to JFK at 5pm, and I took the AirTrain to Howard Station, and got the subway form there to Penn Station, then changed to get another to 96th Street. I got a coffee and sandwich between trains, and this was the only time my bag was off my back for about two hours. I had to wait ages for the second train, and I could feel the sweat rolling down me in the incredibly hot and busy subway station. I was supposed to be getting off at 103rd Street and walking back to 101st, but no trains were stopping there. So I got off at 96th and walked five blocks.

I was very tired. My back and shoulders were hurting lots. It was now about 8pm. Two fire engines passed me as I walked up Broadway. As I got closer to the hostel, I realised I was following the sound of the sirens. I check out tomorrow, and I still don't know why they were in the building: no obvious signs of fire-damage.

Needless to say, all I wanted to do was sleep, or at least lie down and relax. So I showered and read for a while. Then the six Polish people who I'm sharing the room with (and one Irish girl who was asleep) came in around 12.30am and insisted on being loud until about 2am.

Labels: ,

Monday, 3 September 2007

Flying to New York

Typical: the one day I really need to be up, and I sleep in until 7.10am. I wanted to be in the airport by then! Luckily it was an internal flight, and I was checked in by 8.10am, so plenty of time.

Boring flight. Crap film. Crap music.

We got to JFK at 5pm, and I took the AirTrain to Howard Station, and got the subway form there to Penn Station, then changed to get another to 96th Street. I got a coffee and sandwich between trains, and this was the only time my bag was off my back for about two hours. I had to wait ages for the second train, and I could feel the sweat rolling down me in the incredibly hot and busy subway station. I was supposed to be getting off at 103rd Street and walking back to 101st, but no trains were stopping there. So I got off at 96th and walked five blocks.

I was very tired. My back and shoulders were hurting lots. It was now about 8pm. Two fire engines passed me as I walked up Broadway. As I got closer to the hostel, I realised I was following the sound of the sirens. I check out tomorrow, and I still don't know why they were in the building: no obvious signs of fire-damage.

Needless to say, all I wanted to do was sleep, or at least lie down and relax. So I showered and read for a while. Then the six Polish people who I'm sharing the room with (and one Irish girl who was asleep) came in around 12.30am and insisted on being loud until about 2am.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home