Liberty


I had breakfast in Picnic, the place up the street, again. Finally got going around 10.30am, and took the subway to South Ferry, where I queued in Castle Clinton for my ticket for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

You have to queue for the ticket, then go through security, then get on the ferry. It looks like a long process, but I was there just after 11am and still got on the 11.30am ferry.

All tickets for going into the statue were sold out, so I could only go onto the island. You still get to stand under her to get photos though. She's smaller than I imagined. And I found it hard to believe that the island was 12 acres.

I got the ferry to Ellis Island after that. The building is very grand, especially the main hall where all the immigrants used to get processed. There were lots of people looking up ancestors! I don't know how Will Smith got the place empty for his date with Eva Mendes in Hitch. But then, I suppose they started at 7am.

I was back on the mainland by 3pm, went back to the hostel and then went to an internet cafe on Bleeker Street, where I spent three hours uploading videos and photos. I got the subway back to my area, then got a "slice" for dinner, before heading back to the hostel, and showering and packing.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Friday, 7 September 2007

Liberty


I had breakfast in Picnic, the place up the street, again. Finally got going around 10.30am, and took the subway to South Ferry, where I queued in Castle Clinton for my ticket for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

You have to queue for the ticket, then go through security, then get on the ferry. It looks like a long process, but I was there just after 11am and still got on the 11.30am ferry.

All tickets for going into the statue were sold out, so I could only go onto the island. You still get to stand under her to get photos though. She's smaller than I imagined. And I found it hard to believe that the island was 12 acres.

I got the ferry to Ellis Island after that. The building is very grand, especially the main hall where all the immigrants used to get processed. There were lots of people looking up ancestors! I don't know how Will Smith got the place empty for his date with Eva Mendes in Hitch. But then, I suppose they started at 7am.

I was back on the mainland by 3pm, went back to the hostel and then went to an internet cafe on Bleeker Street, where I spent three hours uploading videos and photos. I got the subway back to my area, then got a "slice" for dinner, before heading back to the hostel, and showering and packing.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home