Newbury Street


I got the bus to Boston at 10am. I washed and straightened my hair last night, but needn't have bothered because I was sweaty and a bit frazzled by the time I got to the bus station in NYC.

The journey was about 4 1/2 hours, and we had Man of the Year on, which was about politics and starred Robin Williams. The film wasn't great, but he was funny.

I got the subway in Boston from the bus/train station to Hynes Convention Centre, then walked the last couple of blocks to the hostel. The subway in Boston is much nicer than NYC: it isn't air conditioned, but they've put big fans in some of the stations!

I checked in and met April and Sarah who are in my room, then I went for a wander. I walked along Newbury Street, and stopped for a late lunch in Trident cafe and bookstore. After that I walked the entire length of the street, to the Public Garden and back. Lonely Planet says it's punk one end, high street in the middle and old money at the other end. It's more like old money, high street, and a mix of high street and independent. Not what I'd consider punk though! However it was a very pleasant walk. Kinda what I expected from NYC: big wide pavements and lots of street cafes.

After that I went back to the hostel, where I showered, met Jenny who is also in my room, and made the most of the free coffee. I probably went on the internet too.

Labels: , , , ,

Saturday, 8 September 2007

Newbury Street


I got the bus to Boston at 10am. I washed and straightened my hair last night, but needn't have bothered because I was sweaty and a bit frazzled by the time I got to the bus station in NYC.

The journey was about 4 1/2 hours, and we had Man of the Year on, which was about politics and starred Robin Williams. The film wasn't great, but he was funny.

I got the subway in Boston from the bus/train station to Hynes Convention Centre, then walked the last couple of blocks to the hostel. The subway in Boston is much nicer than NYC: it isn't air conditioned, but they've put big fans in some of the stations!

I checked in and met April and Sarah who are in my room, then I went for a wander. I walked along Newbury Street, and stopped for a late lunch in Trident cafe and bookstore. After that I walked the entire length of the street, to the Public Garden and back. Lonely Planet says it's punk one end, high street in the middle and old money at the other end. It's more like old money, high street, and a mix of high street and independent. Not what I'd consider punk though! However it was a very pleasant walk. Kinda what I expected from NYC: big wide pavements and lots of street cafes.

After that I went back to the hostel, where I showered, met Jenny who is also in my room, and made the most of the free coffee. I probably went on the internet too.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home