Harbie (1978-2010)


Rest in peace Old Man. Thanks for the memories. 18 years is a long time to be in each others lives, even if I haven't spent much time with you for the latter half. But this isn't about my guilt for not seeing enough of you or not looking after you the way I should have. This is about the sadness that you're gone, the hole you're leaving behind, and remembering you.
Unfortunately with the positive comes the negative, and all the times I kicked and screamed at you because you wouldn't go, and using my whip and spurs on you. And now I've run out of time to make up for that.

I'm glad you died naturally because I don't think putting you to sleep is a decision I could ever have made. But you deserved to go peacefully in your sleep, wrapped up in a stable. Not lying in the snow on one of the coldest days of your life. I hope you weren't in too much pain. I love you dearly and will miss you a great deal.

Labels: ,

Saturday, 9 January 2010

Harbie (1978-2010)


Rest in peace Old Man. Thanks for the memories. 18 years is a long time to be in each others lives, even if I haven't spent much time with you for the latter half. But this isn't about my guilt for not seeing enough of you or not looking after you the way I should have. This is about the sadness that you're gone, the hole you're leaving behind, and remembering you.
  • Your beautiful blue eyes
  • Always the first to the gate at dinner time
  • Worrying about you cantering around with the others while you were loving it, and that ridiculous snort that made them all go nuts!
  • Bracing myself for the painful nose nudge in the groin every time I went to see you
  • Escaping onto the grass verge outside the farm in the dead of night, and getting as much grass as you could before James and I put you back in
  • Chewing a hole in the bottom of sugar beet bags and eating it raw, then being put back in your stable and just hoping you'd be OK
  • Daz: gets your pony white but gives your daughter eczema!
  • Trying to roll with me on your back at our first PC rally
  • Sunburn on your nose every summer
  • Eating your way through a brush fence in XC training
  • Chewing Sheila's pocket off to get the food inside
  • Bucking at the top pole of the Bending
  • Your bridle coming off in musical sacks - unfortunately eliminated for that because you're supposed to be in contact with your pony when you reach the sack!
  • Dancing in any river any time
  • Best pony ever at the Water Container Race - slow and steady!
Unfortunately with the positive comes the negative, and all the times I kicked and screamed at you because you wouldn't go, and using my whip and spurs on you. And now I've run out of time to make up for that.

I'm glad you died naturally because I don't think putting you to sleep is a decision I could ever have made. But you deserved to go peacefully in your sleep, wrapped up in a stable. Not lying in the snow on one of the coldest days of your life. I hope you weren't in too much pain. I love you dearly and will miss you a great deal.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home