Scott Pilgrim vs The World



What a breath of fresh air!

I've been struggling with comedies lately: everything seems to be following the Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, Will Ferrell vein, and I just don't find them funny. I enjoyed The Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball and 40 Year Old Virgin when I first watched them, but there isn't anything to make me go back and watch them again and again. And I have no idea what the fuss about The Hangover was all about. I know they keep getting made because they sell, but how many times do we have to hear the same jokes in a slightly different way? I don't find someone saying 'suck my dick' as trash talk funny; but then to have to sit through it being said several more times, using slightly different words? And fat jokes. Haven't we had enough of them too?

But Scott Pilgrim is fantastic. It's original, off the wall, and will surely be a cult classic. The humour is a mix of quirky and sweet. Some of the jokes might not be new, but the delivery is brilliant. People might struggle with it because it is set in the present day but is completely unrealistic. I've told all my friends who would probably think that way to just go with it.

A woman in the row in front in the cinema stood up at the end and said, "Well that was the shittest film I've seen." I think that made it even funnier!

You can also check out the graphic novels here.

Labels: , , ,

Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs The World



What a breath of fresh air!

I've been struggling with comedies lately: everything seems to be following the Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, Will Ferrell vein, and I just don't find them funny. I enjoyed The Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball and 40 Year Old Virgin when I first watched them, but there isn't anything to make me go back and watch them again and again. And I have no idea what the fuss about The Hangover was all about. I know they keep getting made because they sell, but how many times do we have to hear the same jokes in a slightly different way? I don't find someone saying 'suck my dick' as trash talk funny; but then to have to sit through it being said several more times, using slightly different words? And fat jokes. Haven't we had enough of them too?

But Scott Pilgrim is fantastic. It's original, off the wall, and will surely be a cult classic. The humour is a mix of quirky and sweet. Some of the jokes might not be new, but the delivery is brilliant. People might struggle with it because it is set in the present day but is completely unrealistic. I've told all my friends who would probably think that way to just go with it.

A woman in the row in front in the cinema stood up at the end and said, "Well that was the shittest film I've seen." I think that made it even funnier!

You can also check out the graphic novels here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home