Starting in Newcastle

I'm feeling quite bored and lonely at the moment. I'm worried it's all going to go the same way as Leeds did. Or that I don't connect with my housemates. It didn't help that today I lost the piece of paper that had the key code for the door and alarm on. I spent a couple of hours worrying that I might've dropped it right outside the house, or that I'd been pick-pocketed. I had a brief wander on campus, finding the main buildings and students' union. Again, I felt noticeable as I was alone.

I need to get over this. I need to make sure that I get involved. I want to. It's only my shyness holding me back.

So I've met 3 housemates and the boyfriends of one. Really nice people, but they are all 18, so it's all new and exciting to them. One of the girls I'd been in touch with isn't coming here anymore, and there's still two more to arrive. The one thing that is becoming apparent though is that these guys all have their lives set up: they already knew each other, work together, and they're all quite local. So I'm in a position where I absolutely have to get to know other people, or this could turn out to be an even more lonely experience than Leeds.

I'm hoping the course is small enough that I see the same group of people again and again. I'm hoping there's lots of group work, so I can get to know people on the course. I hoping that by the time of the welcome fairs next week, I'll have built up the guts to sign up to the societies I'm interested in.

I have to do this. I can't spend this year thinking about how great life is at home: I'll go nuts. I need to make the most of this year. It's about setting up my career path as well as looking after my mental health. I haven't set myself up in the best way, between not sorting things with Dad and my bizarre boy hang ups.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, 18 September 2010

Starting in Newcastle

I'm feeling quite bored and lonely at the moment. I'm worried it's all going to go the same way as Leeds did. Or that I don't connect with my housemates. It didn't help that today I lost the piece of paper that had the key code for the door and alarm on. I spent a couple of hours worrying that I might've dropped it right outside the house, or that I'd been pick-pocketed. I had a brief wander on campus, finding the main buildings and students' union. Again, I felt noticeable as I was alone.

I need to get over this. I need to make sure that I get involved. I want to. It's only my shyness holding me back.

So I've met 3 housemates and the boyfriends of one. Really nice people, but they are all 18, so it's all new and exciting to them. One of the girls I'd been in touch with isn't coming here anymore, and there's still two more to arrive. The one thing that is becoming apparent though is that these guys all have their lives set up: they already knew each other, work together, and they're all quite local. So I'm in a position where I absolutely have to get to know other people, or this could turn out to be an even more lonely experience than Leeds.

I'm hoping the course is small enough that I see the same group of people again and again. I'm hoping there's lots of group work, so I can get to know people on the course. I hoping that by the time of the welcome fairs next week, I'll have built up the guts to sign up to the societies I'm interested in.

I have to do this. I can't spend this year thinking about how great life is at home: I'll go nuts. I need to make the most of this year. It's about setting up my career path as well as looking after my mental health. I haven't set myself up in the best way, between not sorting things with Dad and my bizarre boy hang ups.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home