Degrees

So I've been thinking recently, about education and work and stuff, and come to an interesting conclusion. If I were to do it all over again, I might not have gone to university first time around. I think I probably would have worked to raise money to travel and volunteer abroad. And maybe carried on doing that, and doing courses like PADI and Mountain Leader and languages and whatever.

At the moment I feel like I'm the most educated, the most in debt, but the least qualified I've ever been. I know this obviously isn't the case, but when I'm applying for jobs and getting no response, and getting further into debt, I can't really help but feel that way.

I feel like my next step is to work and do courses like search and rescue, and then probably volunteer abroad again. And I could easily have done that without either degree! So really, where have they got me? I honestly think I would've just been better off going for experience.

So anyone reading this who's still in school or considering university, think long and hard about it. And don't do it just because it's expected or just because you're intelligent. Don't assume it's the only option. Obviously there are some jobs you need a degree for, like medicine or law. And if you know that you want that, then by all means do it.

But don't be afraid to take a bit longer deciding what you want.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Degrees

So I've been thinking recently, about education and work and stuff, and come to an interesting conclusion. If I were to do it all over again, I might not have gone to university first time around. I think I probably would have worked to raise money to travel and volunteer abroad. And maybe carried on doing that, and doing courses like PADI and Mountain Leader and languages and whatever.

At the moment I feel like I'm the most educated, the most in debt, but the least qualified I've ever been. I know this obviously isn't the case, but when I'm applying for jobs and getting no response, and getting further into debt, I can't really help but feel that way.

I feel like my next step is to work and do courses like search and rescue, and then probably volunteer abroad again. And I could easily have done that without either degree! So really, where have they got me? I honestly think I would've just been better off going for experience.

So anyone reading this who's still in school or considering university, think long and hard about it. And don't do it just because it's expected or just because you're intelligent. Don't assume it's the only option. Obviously there are some jobs you need a degree for, like medicine or law. And if you know that you want that, then by all means do it.

But don't be afraid to take a bit longer deciding what you want.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home