Silence is not the way. We need to talk about it.

I read this post tonight and felt compelled to leave a comment.

Although my own finding work situation has been different (and is about to change again) the feeling that you work so hard on so many job applications to get next to nothing in return is crushing.

There is no guarantee that you will find something - anything - let alone something you want to do or something you're good at.

Having a degree puts you in a position where employers don't really want to hire you for something 'beneath' you, because they think you'll always be on the lookout for something else.

Employers want you to have experience, but so few are willing to provide that unless you are willing to undertake a voluntary internship/placement. Which we fund how exactly, when no one wants to hire us?

So, I can empathise with Steven's post and mental state. It's a pretty shitty state of affairs.

The title of my post comes from an old song, Letting the Cables Sleep by Bush. I never bothered to find out its 'meaning', but I always figured these two lines were about not bottling up your problems (probably because of my own mental state at the time it was released). Reading Steven's post reminded me of some my hardest times, and this just popped into my head.

(And even if you don't like the song, the video has the lovely Gavin Rossdale and a beautiful woman in it.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Thursday, 8 September 2011

Silence is not the way. We need to talk about it.

I read this post tonight and felt compelled to leave a comment.

Although my own finding work situation has been different (and is about to change again) the feeling that you work so hard on so many job applications to get next to nothing in return is crushing.

There is no guarantee that you will find something - anything - let alone something you want to do or something you're good at.

Having a degree puts you in a position where employers don't really want to hire you for something 'beneath' you, because they think you'll always be on the lookout for something else.

Employers want you to have experience, but so few are willing to provide that unless you are willing to undertake a voluntary internship/placement. Which we fund how exactly, when no one wants to hire us?

So, I can empathise with Steven's post and mental state. It's a pretty shitty state of affairs.

The title of my post comes from an old song, Letting the Cables Sleep by Bush. I never bothered to find out its 'meaning', but I always figured these two lines were about not bottling up your problems (probably because of my own mental state at the time it was released). Reading Steven's post reminded me of some my hardest times, and this just popped into my head.

(And even if you don't like the song, the video has the lovely Gavin Rossdale and a beautiful woman in it.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home