Birthdays of the Departed

Emma Griffin's birthday has appeared on my Facebook news feed today. 25 years old today. Except she died last week. Took her own life.

We weren't close: I'd only met her a couple of times. More a friend of a friend than anything else. We were chalk and cheese really, but the one thing we had in common was that we were opinionated.

I don't really know what to say about her except that I couldn't imagine anyone less likely to take their own life. Maybe that just shows how little I knew her. Or maybe it shows how well she covered up her feelings. She was always so bubbly and fun and outgoing and outspoken.

Despite the fact that we were very different and I had no intention of letting her change my mind, I was envious of how outgoing and outspoken she was. I have opinions about a lot of things, but I'm shy and generally only let my close family and friends see the real me. I tend to avoid rocking the boat with people I don't know well. Keep a lid on things.

Emma wasn't like that.

The first time we met she mistook my shyness for snobbery. I thought the fact that we had nothing in common meant we would have nothing to talk about. The second time we met she told me her first impressions and I was much less reserved. And we both changed our opinions.

About 5 days had passed before our mutual friend texted me to say what had happened. I immediately went on her Facebook page and read through hundreds of messages. Everyone who knew her - close friends and others like me - in an equal state of shock, wondering why and how they couldn't have known her state of mind.

Emma G (sounds like energy!!).

Labels: , , , , ,

Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Birthdays of the Departed

Emma Griffin's birthday has appeared on my Facebook news feed today. 25 years old today. Except she died last week. Took her own life.

We weren't close: I'd only met her a couple of times. More a friend of a friend than anything else. We were chalk and cheese really, but the one thing we had in common was that we were opinionated.

I don't really know what to say about her except that I couldn't imagine anyone less likely to take their own life. Maybe that just shows how little I knew her. Or maybe it shows how well she covered up her feelings. She was always so bubbly and fun and outgoing and outspoken.

Despite the fact that we were very different and I had no intention of letting her change my mind, I was envious of how outgoing and outspoken she was. I have opinions about a lot of things, but I'm shy and generally only let my close family and friends see the real me. I tend to avoid rocking the boat with people I don't know well. Keep a lid on things.

Emma wasn't like that.

The first time we met she mistook my shyness for snobbery. I thought the fact that we had nothing in common meant we would have nothing to talk about. The second time we met she told me her first impressions and I was much less reserved. And we both changed our opinions.

About 5 days had passed before our mutual friend texted me to say what had happened. I immediately went on her Facebook page and read through hundreds of messages. Everyone who knew her - close friends and others like me - in an equal state of shock, wondering why and how they couldn't have known her state of mind.

Emma G (sounds like energy!!).

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home