Happily Ever After

Yesterday's Daily Prompt over at the Daily Post at Wordpress was:
“And they lived happily ever after.” Think about this line for a few minutes. Are you living happily ever after? If not, what will it take for you to get there?
Once again it is more appropriate to respond on my Blogger site.

Shockingly the answer is no, I am not living happily ever after. I don't think the answer would be any different if Dad was still here, or even if Dad never got cancer. I'd still be a Masters graduate working well below my qualification level, with very little optimism about that changing. I'd still have lost one of my best friends for an unknown reason. I'd still be angry about the state of the world.

I also think that I'm the kind of person who changes their mind and switches their goals fairly often, either because I achieve something or because I just decide I want to do something else. I think I'm an 'it's the journey not the destination' kind of person: I don't have a finalised bucket list but a constantly changing list instead. So I don't think 'happily ever after' is a concept that applies to me.

But Dad isn't here anymore, and it's changed everything. I used to like quotes such as
you make your own luck
But not so much anymore. There are so many other forces acting on you. Dad got cancer and I got more stuff to do. I had to think about changing my plans to make sure he was still looked after. Then Dad died, and I got a lot more stuff to do. It's changed everything. I've gone from a very independent person with few ties, to someone who jointly owns a house and land which are rented out, and the sole carer of 12 horses.

I love my horses and I don't want to change that. But I now need to switch my goals, to consider what I can and want to achieve in my new situation.

Labels: , , , , ,

Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Happily Ever After

Yesterday's Daily Prompt over at the Daily Post at Wordpress was:
“And they lived happily ever after.” Think about this line for a few minutes. Are you living happily ever after? If not, what will it take for you to get there?
Once again it is more appropriate to respond on my Blogger site.

Shockingly the answer is no, I am not living happily ever after. I don't think the answer would be any different if Dad was still here, or even if Dad never got cancer. I'd still be a Masters graduate working well below my qualification level, with very little optimism about that changing. I'd still have lost one of my best friends for an unknown reason. I'd still be angry about the state of the world.

I also think that I'm the kind of person who changes their mind and switches their goals fairly often, either because I achieve something or because I just decide I want to do something else. I think I'm an 'it's the journey not the destination' kind of person: I don't have a finalised bucket list but a constantly changing list instead. So I don't think 'happily ever after' is a concept that applies to me.

But Dad isn't here anymore, and it's changed everything. I used to like quotes such as
you make your own luck
But not so much anymore. There are so many other forces acting on you. Dad got cancer and I got more stuff to do. I had to think about changing my plans to make sure he was still looked after. Then Dad died, and I got a lot more stuff to do. It's changed everything. I've gone from a very independent person with few ties, to someone who jointly owns a house and land which are rented out, and the sole carer of 12 horses.

I love my horses and I don't want to change that. But I now need to switch my goals, to consider what I can and want to achieve in my new situation.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home